All transactions have a tax implication. FTI Consulting tax specialists deploy effective structuring strategies and commercially focused tax diligence to maximise value opportunities and minimise risk. Our team is experienced in all types of domestic and cross-border transactions, including acquisitions, disposals, restructurings, refinancings and initial public offerings.
Our team provides expert structuring advice and leading-edge solutions at every stage of the transaction cycle, from the initial due diligence phase to structuring and sale-and-purchase agreement negotiation and post-deal implementation. Our team of transaction tax experts can help you understand:
- How to structure the sale of an asset or a company to mitigate tax liabilities and utilise available exemptions and reliefs
- How to structure the purchase of an asset or company tax efficiently with flexibility on exit or refinancing
- How best to deal with historical and future tax exposures in negotiation and deal execution
- How to incentivise and retain key staff via tax and cost-efficient management incentive planning
- How to achieve tax-efficient returns on exit
Our team provides tax due diligence to both buy- and sell-side parties. This can be supplied either as a standalone deliverable or alongside our financial due diligence team to provide complete support to a transaction. For further information, please see Transaction Advisory Services.
FTI Consulting is a contractual co-operation member of the WTS Alliance, a global network of selected tax and consulting firms with representation in approximately 100 countries. Further information can be found at www.wts-alliance.com. By combining cross-border transaction expertise with local tax knowledge, FTI Consulting is able to deliver high-quality, coordinated tax advice wherever your transaction occurs. All engagements are managed by our dedicated transactions team based in London, providing seamless services.
With more emphasis on corporates to control and improve the manner in which they deal with their tax compliance processes, businesses are continually revisiting the way in which they manage tax compliance to ensure that it maximises cost efficiency and minimises tax risks.
Our tax compliance and reporting team provides high-quality, flexible and cost-effective solutions to tax compliance, ranging from securing additional resources for in-house teams to undertaking the entire tax function for groups or delivering outsourced tax return preparation services.
Compliance is not merely a number-crunching exercise. We tailor our approach to clients’ needs with an understanding of the time demands faced by resource-constrained finance teams. A significant amount ofsenior involvement from our team means we can use our experience and skills to identify opportunities to improvetax processes and deliver tax savings. Our team is experienced in partnering with businesses to provide a wide range of compliance and reporting services, including:
- Preparation of corporate tax computations and returns
- Tax provisioning for statutory accounts purposes; our team is experienced in using tax provision packages and preparing accounting journals, undertaking tax reconciliations and liaising with auditors
- Group reporting, including year-end/quarterly reporting and forecasting, under IFRS, U.S. GAAP and UK GAAP
- Deferred tax reporting and analysis for both routine reporting purposes and assessment of deferred tax impacts of specific planning and transactions
- iXBRL-managed tagging service for financial statements in line with HMRC’s online filing criteria for corporate tax returns
- Dispute resolution with HMRC
- Senior accounting officer support
- Tax reporting improvement and consolidation modeling
Our team has significant experience working with a wide range of groups, both UK-listed and inbound, across a number of industries, including manufacturing, retail, real estate, hospitality, pharmaceutical and technology.
Tax has become a hot topic with the media, politicians, clients, investors and the wider community. What historically may have been viewed as benign tax management can become a target for criticism.
This is a substantive business issue. It can adversely impact reputation and brand value, as well as corporate business and financing relationships; it applies directly to directors’ duties and responsibilities and occupies senior management’s time and resources.
FTI Consulting is in a unique and independent position to assist businesses in addressing this area. Our team combines highly experienced tax experts and a market-leading strategic communications segment to provide a truly multidisciplinary approach.
Our restructuring specialists develop pragmatic, workable solutions to clients’ tax issues arising from restructurings and reorganisations. Our team is at the centre of any transaction, particularly where divestments are included in a restructuring plan, ensuring a tax-efficient execution of the plan and ongoing tax efficiency of the remaining business.
Our tax restructuring services include:
- Identifying cash opportunities; for example, identifying and expediting tax refunds
- Structuring transactions for maximum tax efficiency, including debt-for-equity swaps and pre-pack administrations
- Preserving tax attributes
As part of a fully integrated service, the tax services team works alongside the restructuring specialists within the corporate finance segment to ensure seamless delivery of advice, particularly where refinancing and structural change are involved. Please see Restructuring/Turnaround Services for further information.
Our team has a skill set combining tax, surveying and accounting that delivers practical and innovative solutions for companies involved in significant capital transactions. We have an unrivalled track record and client base in this area. Our senior team members are recognised as thought leaders in this field and have advised corporations, governments and industry bodies in both the UK and internationally on all aspects relating to the accounting and taxation treatment of complex asset investments.
Our real estate tax services include:
- Fund setup and structuring advice in both the UK and internationally
- Fixed asset process improvement and retrospective review to ensure optimal capital allowances and deferred revenue claims
- Capital allowance advice and analysis on capital expenditures
- Tax depreciation
- Tax due diligence on property acquisitions
- Land remediation relief
- VAT compliance and planning
For many businesses VAT is a significant cost and for all a heavy compliance burden, so getting the right advice is critical.
FTI Consulting brings a highly experienced team of senior VAT professionals who combine significant technical expertise with a hands-on approach to the delivery and implementation of VAT solutions across a range of industries.
Whether you are looking to reduce cost, enhance cash flow or achieve competitive advantage, FTI Consulting can provide commercial solutions based on sound principles and best practices.
The team also includes experienced VAT litigators, and we are able to support clients through alternative dispute resolution, tax tribunals and the courts. Our VAT services include:
- Complex consultancy projects, including liability issues and value, time and place of supply issues
- VAT cash flow planning
- VAT refunds
- VAT compliance
- Cross-border issues, including import and export, international services, intra-EU trade, intrastat and EC Sales Lists
- Transaction support, including merger/integration issues
- Partial exemption and capital goods scheme planning
- Dispute management and litigation support, including advocacy
FTI Consulting has a high-quality, experienced tax team based in London that adopts a multidisciplinary approach and has an international network of tax colleagues and partner firms. As an independent global consultancy firm, we are ideally placed to advise our clients on both UK and international transactions and planning, tax strategy, international tax compliance management and tax communications. Our team offers a full range of international corporate tax services for both UK and overseas headquartered multinationals and provides tax advice on a broad range of issues, including initial investment, financing of international operations, and cross-border transactions and structuring advice.
FTI Consulting is a contractual co-operation partner in the WTS Alliance, a global network of selected tax and consulting firms with representation in approximately 100 countries. Further information can be found at www.wts-alliance.com. By combining local tax knowledge with our dedicated team of international tax experts, FTI Consulting is able to deliver coordinated tax advice and bespoke solutions to our clients globally.
Our team has substantial experience with transfer pricing projects and helps develop and implement creative and pragmatic solutions for clients. The team consists of individuals with backgrounds from international professional services firms, as well as from the internal tax department of global organisations.
Our team can help you deal with:
- Reviewing group pricing policies
- Creating an effective supply chain to improve business efficiency
- Simplifying financial reporting
- Implementing OECD practice guidelines
- Offering thin capitalisation advice and negotiation
FTI Consulting brings leading specialist insight to both R&D tax incentives and the Patent Box regime.
Our team assists claimants with R&D tax relief submissions and subsequent agreement with HMRC. Our team of specialists manages each stage of the claim process from guidance in identifying technically qualifying activities to the provision of tailor-made process tools for data management and cost collation.
Partnering with patent attorneys, our tax consultants offer a unique approach to the assessment of qualifying activities. Through partnering with patent attorneys, we adapt their techniques in evaluating innovation to assess scientific advances against the requirements of the BIS guidelines. This unique partnership means we can readily assess the cost/benefit of patenting technology to allow clients to make informed decisions at the right time. This can drive significant long-term value.
Our team also offers clients expert advisory services relating to Patent Box legislation. Our pragmatic approach aids in preparing claims that are acceptable to HMRC. FTI Consulting also incorporates expertise from its leading economic consulting team that specialises in intellectual property-related litigation. These specialist skills have been deployed to advise on the more challenging aspects of the Patent Box, including notional royalties, marketing assets and streaming. For further information, please see Economic and Financial Consulting practice.
Our team has unparalleled experience in advising companies in this industry. Typical engagements bring together industry-specific tax knowledge to assist clients in solving complex business tax issues. Our team has advised and implemented innovative tax solutions with fiscal authorities in multiple jurisdictions. Our team takes an approach of advising through the whole ownership cycle with advice that maximises return and minimises tax risk over the long term.